Hi friends! How have you been?! Things are really starting to heat up in Portland, so all these little dresses I’ve been making are starting to come in handy. No more boots and leggings for me!
Today’s refashion is another one snagged from the Goodwill bins. It is a very lightweight blend of some sort (no materials tag to know for sure), so it definitely cost under $1. I was drawn by the pretty fabric and really wasn’t sure what it would look like when worn. Oh man, it’s a good one!
I believe this would be considered a caftan, but hard to say. A quick Google search resulted in many different looks. One thing is for sure, it has one serious bat wing!
Unfortunately, for you vintage purists, the bat wing is flying right off this dress. Get it? I’m so clever. 😉
The first step was to remove the 80’s-tastic shoulder pads.
Then, put this on The Body and get to pinning.
This was quite tricky, actually. There was a lot of slippery fabric to deal with and the way it was hanging, it was hard to tell if I was pulling too much from one side. This was going to take multiple passes to get right.
There was definitely too much fabric still, so I sewed about an inch in on each side, following my original stitches.
It was silly of me to think that removing only 2 more inches was going to work. There was a lot of fabric to deal with.
So, I removed the amount I knew I was not going to need.
Then put it back on The Body for another pinning.
To my dismay, I discovered that during the removal of the first bit of fabric, I cut through a part I wasn’t intending to.
I had no choice, but to pin around this. It was going to be cutting it close (no pun intended).
Then I sewed, ripped, sewed, tried on, sewed, until I achieved a fit that looked like a current dress style. Attempts #3 – #5.
There was actually a button missing at the bottom of the dress, which made it a bit indecent, so I relocated the top button,
To the bottom:
Yes, that will cover me up for sure! (Foreshadowing) Then, onto my favorite part, removing the sleeves. These actually weren’t attached like normal sleeves, well, they were, but there was a pleating detail at the shoulder that I did not want to lose, so I cut them, rather than seam rip.
My goal was to make the end of the sleeve look like another pleat. So I pinned it up, and sewed.
After some serious ironing, I tried it on and voila!
Cute, right?! The sleeves turned out just how I wanted! In preparation for work, for a second I thought, “hmm, I might be a bit chilly, I can just throw on jeans and a t-shirt and just post the afters on my blog, even if I don’t wear it to the office…..nahhhh, it’ll be fine!” Then I headed out the door.
It was not fine. It was not fine at all. Though, it was not the temperature that was the problem. I neglected to sit down in this dress while altering it. Not only did it show more leg than I was comfortable with, but the space between buttons gaped open. A lot. It was especially bad at my boobs and crotch. A clear sign that it was too tight. Ugh! Luckily, I had a sweater to help cover my top and a lap blanket for my legs, but it was pretty disappointing, because it’s so cute otherwise. Yet another lesson learned the hard way. :p
I hope you all are getting some good weather where you are and YOU aren’t exposing YOUR bits!
Stay decent everyone!