Today’s refashion made me think of one of my 90’s movie faves, because of its bold and (potentially uggy) pattern.
Okay, it isn’t quite a ‘big old mess,’ but you may not love it:
See what I mean? Pretty intense! I really like it though. 🙂
This gal is actually a vintage housecoat I got on ebay for $4.99, plus $2 shipping. So that not only means that it is pretty shapeless, but also that it has a front zipper! I considered turning it around backwards, but it felt funny. See:
Maybe not “puppet” funny, but I don’t think I’ve been giving you all enough nerdy photos lately. You’re welcome.
Let’s see if we can make this Monet into a work of art.
First, I dragged out The Body (thanks again for that name Anna!) and put the dress on her inside out, then pinned to fit her curves (i.e. my curves):
Just a couple pins, which are hard to see.
Fully pinned in the hallway.
Next I sewed up those sides, and forgot to take a picture. However, it was still too big (time to adjust The Body!), so I did some pinning on my actual body to nip the sides in further and define my waist more clearly. I then sewed that up.
Happy with the fit, I tackled the length. I folded the previous hem twice (as I had done on myself) and removed it.
I may have gone a bit too short, but not indecent, so still wearable. You’ll see.
Then I removed about half of the sleeves.
I usually measure on my cutting mat from the shoulder seam and then do the same on the opposite sleeve. Here it was 10 inches from shoulder to cut.
However, if you don’t have a cutting mat, it can also be helpful to lay the cut portion on top of the other sleeve as a guide:
Then, it was time for hemming. I went with 3/4″, since I already took off so much length.
Pinning, with 3/4″ on the hem gauge.
Then I stitched up the bottom hem and the sleeves.
I also removed the extra fabric on the inside with my heavy duty pinking shears, which were another cool item I acquired from my great-grandmother’s sewing supplies.
Cutting with pinking shears can prevent fraying.
After trying the dress on one more time, I decided it needed a sash, because why not?!
I took the bottom portion of the removed hem and turned it inside out, then I sewed up both sides.
After turning it right side out (a slow process), I was finished!
Gotta say, I think this is HOT!
I’m showing a little more leg than normal, but this isn’t how I wore it to work. Despite a sunny day here in Portland, it’s still a bit too chilly for bare legs. So, I pulled out the leggings and boots:
Not quite so sexy, but still looks nice. Gotta love that zipper in the front! It makes for an easily adjustable neckline, depending on the occasion.
In the first set of pictures, you may notice another pair of footwear I recently acquired. These are silver snakeskin vintage Bruno Magli’s!
I scored these beauties on ebay for $3.99, plus $11.45 shipping (shoes are heavy). They were a little crackly (dried snake skin) so I used a little leather conditioner on them inside and out and they are soft and lovely again! Total score!
Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to show off the whole ensemble to anyone in person. Perhaps I can wear it on a date soon! Yeah, I go on those now.
Enjoy your day everyone!
Update: Much more detail to see with photos from a REAL camera.